[mythtv-users] Very simple user guide for Myth?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 18:59:39 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Richard Thomas wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> And my point is that someone technical HAS to set up MythTV and that
>> person should change the menu theme that is appropriate for the end
>> user. It makes little sense to set up a system for someone and then
>> say, "Yeah, it's complicated with lots of options you don't want but
>> that's the way it came so... Good luck!" instead of also changing the
>> menu theme and saying, "This is a bit easier for you to understand.
>> All the options you want to use on a daily basis are on the front
>> menu
>> with the ability to navigate deeper to find the rest of the stuff you
>> might want to use."
>>
> Ah, but who's to say that both kinds of users won't use the unit (My
> wife and I for example)?

Well, now you're talking about a long-sought after feature request for
handling multiple users. The idea is that you log in and only see what
you want to see because it changes to your settings (including program
filter so you only get your shows, menu theme, OSD theme, etc, etc.)
and you can mark stuff you've watched independently of others so you
know when it's safe to delete something, etc. Don't look for this
feature any time soon. It's as complicated as it sounds. :)

> Ah well, I'm going to give it a go anyway. I certainly know that I
> believe that the lack of a user-friendly guide is a weakness in the
> whole mythtv thing right now. Can't do any harm in any case.

That would be greatly appreciated!

-Brad