[mythtv-users] Looking ahead: system requirements for .22

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:38:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the talk of .22 and its new user interface starting to heat up
> here, I am curious as to what type of system requirements will be
> needed to run this version and take advantage of the all the new
> OpenGL stuff.

Well, the new stuff isn't OpenGL, it's MythUI, which is available on
all painters.  OpenGL has crossfades between screens, but it always
has.  I can speak only for my theme, which will take advantage of lots
of large images, and predict that the memory requirements for it will
be quite high.  Additionally, themes will be more resolution-agnostic
by .22 and so I will likely retool my theme with 1920x1080 as a base
resolution, further increasing memory requirements.  A lot of things
about MythUI are much more efficient that the old UI, so you can
expect that if you want to go on using a core theme, that your system
requirements shouldn't go up too much.

Robert