[mythtv-users] Very simple user guide for Myth?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 16:24:56 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Mike Dent wrote:

> I'm using the DVR option, as you point out the top level menu is
> fairly simple.
>
> But what happens when they want to schedule a recording with anything
> other than the program guide?

You press Schedule Recordings and then instead of the top menu item of
Program guide, you press the down arrow until the one you want it
selected. Please don't tell me pressing the down arrow on that menu
screen is too difficult for someone to understand.

Incidentally, when I press Schedule Recordings, the options are:
Program Guide
Program Finder
Search Words
Search Lists
Custom Record
Manual Schedule

> Or they accidentally open up the
> scheduling options, post recording options etc. It's just Gobledegook
> to a
> non tech person.

Sorry, I'm sure what screens you mean. Accidentally open the
scheduling options? How do you do that?
Post recording options? Not sure what you mean there, either. I think
you mean be pressing the right-arrow button with a recording selected
in the Watch Recordings screen? If so, in trunk the left/right arrow
always navigate and don't open menus any more. You have to press Info
to get to that menu now.

> I've not got Sky+ yet but I've heard it is extremely easy to setup a
> series link, record past end of show 5 mins etc.
> Unless I am missing something its not *that* obvious in Myth?

Sorry, not sure what you mean by a "setup series link". Do you mean
record a program on any time on any channel?  Once you find the
program you want to record, you select and hit the left arrow key and
then Save These Settings. Not sure how that could be made easier.

It is difficult to extend a live recording. I think a good feature
request is to add a menu to the OSD M(enu) to extend the current
recording, so while you're watching something that's recording and you
notice it's running late, you hit M, scroll to "Extend Recording", hit
right arrow and choose the number of minutes from a pre-set list like
5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 90 minutes or whatever.

> Oh and dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, it's fine for me.
> As Rich suggested a basic and advanced option set would be nice.

I think that's what the Menu theme options are for. If you can come up
with a menu structure that would work better, please suggest it and
post the xml changes you've made. If you can't manage to change the
xml to match it, post the structure and maybe someone who agrees with
you will do the xml work and even submit it to trac to see if it can
be included with the source as a new menu theme.

Before you do that, consider looking through the different menu themes
and see how they are structured to see if one gets you closer to what
you want and use that as a starting point.

-Brad