[mythtv-users] Odd i/o issues

Thomas Egrelius mythv at egge.se
Wed Jan 14 08:03:10 UTC 2009

> > Thoughts?  I'm intrigued by the what seems to be strange iostat
> > results on the backend...

> I have experienced similar pauses (though not as often as you) in my
> system as well since upgrading the kernel (to 2.6.24-23) in my BE which
> is running mythbuntu 8.04.1. I can't for sure say that the kernel is the
> problem but I am suspicious since I noticed the problem shortly thereafter.

I too have similar pauses, but more like once every 3-5 minutes. I have
Ubuntu 8.04.1 on the backend on a Celeron 2.53GHz and kernel 2.6.24-21.
Video storage is a raid5 with LVM and XFS on top. The frontend is AMD
4850e with the G780 chipset running Ubuntu 8.10. Both systems have the
latest 0.21-fixes from the stable ubuntu respositories.

However, since my previous frontend broke, I have a new MB and CPU in it,
now on the ATI graphics (nVidia before). It also got updated from Ubuntu
7.something at the same time. And so was the backend which also got the
storage rearranged, so there are so many factors that could cause this for
me and I haven't been able to pin down either of them as being the cause
yet :/

The video is fully watchable though, so I'm still sleeping good at night
;)

/Thomas