[mythtv-users] Getting started with compiling trunk

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 13 22:44:57 UTC 2009

> I know all about compiles since I do software development for my job,
> but I haven't really done much with configure scripts and such.
> Basically, I'd like an overview type of thing ("1. Make sure you have
> <x,y,z> installed; 2. run configure with these options", etc.).
>
> Does this type of thing exist?  Most of the info I've seen is pretty
> basic and doesn't seem to reflect how to compile the trunk code as it
> exists at this minute.

You might want to look at these pages in the wiki:

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Dependencies_(Building_from_source)

The Ubuntu page justs lists the needed packages. I had written a script
to do the same for Fedora. It is on the Fedora page, and addresses, in
part, how to handle your repositories so that you get the files you
want. The Fedora script could quite likely be easily ported to a Ubuntu
milieu.

This script just installs the packages needed to run Mythtv (and
MythArchive and MythMusic iirc). It does not include the SVN trunk.

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Ubuntu_Breezy

These two pages are aimed at explaining how to download and then compile
the SVN code. At the bottom of the Fedora page, I put some scripts which
I use: three configure scripts (just listings of the configure switches
I use) and then an 'all-build' script which you might like to look at,
and even use. It is all bash and set up so that you just start it and go
away for a while. At the least, reading them will tell you what you need
to type at the command line.

Geoff Newbury