[mythtv-users] Setting up mythtv password did no good

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 13 22:42:12 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Igor Chudov wrote:
>> As mentioned in my previous post, resetting root password to blank,
>> and granting all privileges on *.* to mythtv at localhost, identified by
>> mythtv, did not do squat.
>
> MySQL's idea of what "localhost" means is different from Myth's.
>
> Try granting all privilages to mythtv@%, instead.

Oh, and I should add that MySQL allows different passwords for different
hosts, which can be confusing.  It's best to avoid having entries in the
user table with the same username but different hostnames.

Also, more specific entries will override less specific ones.

% is a wildcard that will match any host.