[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Tue Jan 13 22:06:53 UTC 2009

Igor Chudov wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Intrepid and installed mythtv by means of apt-get.
>
> I have spent dozens of hours on this already and there is no end to an
> incredible mess.
>
> The previous problem was, apparently, that mysql setup was all messed
> up and log on to mysql was not set up properly. But mythtv was saying
> all kinds of nonsense like "check that mysql server is running"
> instead of plainly saying that it could not log on.
>
> Basically nothing works and mythtv produces some incomprehensible
> error messages (or no messages) that never lead to anything
> productive. It is like fighting through a thick forest.
>
> The latest one, apparently, is that when I do
>
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
>
> it prints a sadly stupid message "No setting found for this machine's
> BackendServerIP".
>
> I just spend 20 minutes googling for this message trying to find just
> where, in what file is that setting set. First of all, the script
> could say that.
>
> I start that /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend as root. I ran mythtv-setup
> as user "tv". I changed /etc/default/mythtv-backend user setting to
> tv.
>
> "tv"'s config.xml has zero mention of "BackendServerIP".
> <Configuration>
>   <UPnP>
>     <UDN>
>       <MediaRenderer>a7fd99e7-4fe4-4bb8-9029-2d0758b88cbc</MediaRenderer>
>     </UDN>
>     <MythFrontend>
>       <DefaultBackend>
>         <DBHostName>localhost</DBHostName>
>         <DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
>         <DBPassword>crap0</DBPassword>
>         <DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
>         <DBPort>0</DBPort>
>       </DefaultBackend>
>     </MythFrontend>
>   </UPnP>
> </Configuration>
>
> I have been a linux user since 1995 and admin many systems at home and
> at work, colocated servers, all sorts of servers, desktops and
> laptops.
>
> With the possible exception of PulseAudio, mythtv takes the prize for
> being the most user unfriendly system, where finding solutions to most
> obvious problems is almost impossible.
>
> I will continue messing with it, mostly because I have little choice,
> but I gotta say I have not yet seen anything nearly as bad.
>
> And no, I am not going to install "mythbuntu" (using then Ubuntu
> Hardy). I tried and it was by far the worst experience. Right now I
> have everything working perfectly except mythtv. With "mythbuntu", I
> had mythtv not working and everything else was in a not so good shape
> either.

I agree with you Igor that mythtv setup and use can be frustrating at
times but perseverance should pay off. I found when I was doing an
install of mythtv on ubuntu hardy that installing
mythbuntu-control-center and setting things up through it made the
process much easier. I don't know if you tried mcc yet but I would
recommend it.

John