[mythtv-users] Firewire stops working -- and how to record twice?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Tue Jan 13 17:43:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 06:29:55PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:

> Anyway...  I can get recording from the STB to work on a freshly
> booted system.   I prime the box and use broacast mode as suggested
> since p2p mode shows some failures.  I am able to suck out mpegs,
> change the channel with 6200ch and record programs in mythtv.
>
> However, sooner or later something will make it fail.  I don't know
> exactly what causes the failures but after it fails, it seems impossible
> to bring it back.  I've tried all the various priming scripts, such
> as the two on the wiki, and manual playing with the pcrs and mcrs on
> the firewire bus.  (In failed state the pcr[0] channel seems to be set
> to 0 instead of 63, but setting it back to 63 doesn't help.
>
> In failed state all firewire-tester attempts fail, all test-mpeg2 fetches
> come back null.

I have similar issues. I got a Motorola 6214 STB; it usually
works. I got a second STB from the cableco: it never worked.
I returned it and got a third STB: it sometimes worked when it
was the only FW tuner plugged in, but never if there were two
FW STBs plugged in. I returned that.

> So what fixes it?  Reboot of the linux box.   Reboot of the STB or
> unplug/plug of the 1394 cable does not fix it.   firewire bus reset
> from firewire-tester does not fix it.

For me, I can consistently fix this problem in the single STB
by unplugging the power cable from it, plugging it back in, and
then restarting the backend process.

00:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394
OHCI 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)

Athlon 64 3500+
Linux djinn 2.6.18-3-k7 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:23:11 UTC 2006 i686

Straight Debian Etch.

I'd really like to (a) not randomly drop the STB and (b) get
multiple STBs working.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.