[mythtv-users] separate volume for two tuner cards

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Tue Jan 13 15:03:12 UTC 2009

John Andrunas wrote:
> The closest I know of is to set the "Use internal volume controls"
> option to off in the general options.

I do have that disabled; however, in the recording profile there is a
volume adjustment that cannot be disabled as far as I know.  This is the
volume level that gets set on the tuner card if I watch Live TV and I
suspect record shows.

My understanding is that the internal volume controls are for playback
(setting the sound card) and not for recording (setting the tuner volume
level).

You could then set Lirc to run a
> script or if you use a external receiver or something you can just map
> those buttons.  I have long considered doing this since the volume on my
> two tuners vary drastically but have never bothered so let me know if
> you figure something out.
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have two tuner cards in my MythTV server (Hauppauge PVR-150's) and
>     would like to know how to set separate volume levels since one of the
>     cards tends to be quieter than the other.
>
>     I have in my server crontab:
>
>     v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl=volume=63488
>     v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --set-ctrl=volume=36000
>
>     This does what I want; however, when I watch TV the volume levels are
>     reset by the client to the volume level set in the client configuration.
>      I believe that MythTV is not configured to set volume levels for
>     individual tuner cards, so is there a way to keep the client from
>     setting volume levels in the first place?
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     --
>     "No turning back, my life is like an 8-track." - DecembeRadio

> --
> John

"There oughta be a law with no bail, smash a guitar and you go to jail,
with no chance for early parole, you don't get out until you get some
soul." - John Hiatt