[mythtv-users] Getting started with compiling trunk

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Tue Jan 13 10:28:28 UTC 2009

> ./configure --help
>
> to see the list of options
>
> ./configure <list of options>
>
> until you see  that the features you want will be built, with (in my
> case) lots of googling and trial and error to hunt down the missing
> dependencies.

You should be able to get the dependencies by doing a sudo apt-get
build-dep mythtv. I think that mythtv is a meta package in Ubuntu which
encompasses all the other bits of myth. There may be a few extra bits
from trunk which are not in the Debian builds, so you may need to
install a few extra things.

Note as a first step you should do:

apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

I would also install checkinstall. This lets you build a Debian package,
which makes un-installing much easier. Roughly your need to do:

./configure --all-your-options
make
su root
checkinstall

You need to tell checkinstall a version number, which can be anything
eg. myth-trunk-22, when prompted. If you omit this step it will probably
barf.

Ian.