[mythtv-users] HD Homerun questions

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:03:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 04:10:05PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Well, I ordered one from NewEgg for delivery later this week. We'll
>> see how it goes. As a start I'll try using the Mac mini as a secondary
>> server and try limiting my recordings to 480p.
>
> You know you can't do that, right?
>
> Whatever comes down the pipe, 1080i, 720p, 480p/i -- that's what
> comes out of the HDHR. You can transcode after the fact, but not
> limit what comes in.

Right, I understand that. It's my understanding however (from looking
at the SiliconDust site, nothing more) that a lot of these programs
are available in different formats - 480p, 720p. If that's the case
then all I meant was I'll only set up channels that allow 480p
recordings until I have the whole system working. I want to make sure
the most basic capabilities don't down the network or the primary
backend before I start streaming 1080i around.

That's all I meant.

> But the MacMini will have no trouble recording 1080i from the
> HDHR, so don't worry about it. Recording and playing back
> simultaneously -- that would be challenging, I think.

Understood. I suspect the Mac Mini may never be used for anything
except recording. I'll just have to see how it works. As I say, it's
gathered dust for nearly two years and holds the title for my all time
worst computer purchase ever. It never even worked that well running
OS X. Certanly it soured me on ever owning another Mac.

I might do OK to find some sort of VGA to S-Video or component
converter and use it as a low-end frontend or something, but I have
absolutely no real plans right now. I'll just try things out and see
if I can make use of it.

Cheers,
Mark