[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jan 12 16:35:44 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> Jeff Walther wrote:

[snip]
>>> Of course you want to immediately make it clear that you are a rational
>>> and polite viewer. You wouldn't believe some of the "complaints" we
>>> received, the usual ones being "why do you jack up the sound during
>>> commercials?" (we didn't) or "why do you send all the signal to the rich
>>> neighborhoods?" (obviously silly).
>>>

>> OK, I have to ask.  Now while I agree that sending "all the signal to
>> the rich neighborhoods" is silly, there certainly appears to be
>> occasions when commercials are much louder than the programming.  Our
>> local Fox affiliate comes to mind as a broadcast that seems to be this
>> way, especially during prime time.  So if audio levels aren't
>> intentionally manipulated by some, what other things may cause this
>> apparent behavior?

[snipped informative answers - check thread]

Thank you all for the detailed and informative answers.  Now I
understand why some commercials seem louder than regular programming and
that sometimes this perception is intentional and other times just the
result of broadcasting material from different sources..

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!