[mythtv-users] Unbelievably smooth transition to DTV and multiple set top boxes via firewire

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:25:53 UTC 2009

I just wanted to relate my success story here.

After asking on this list about a week ago what my best options were for
overcoming my cable companies upcoming transition to all digital cable I
obtained two more set top boxes from my cable company (Insight
Communications of Northern Kentucky). After a quick stop at Circuit City to
get 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cables I went home.

I connected the firewire cables to the MythTV system. I have a 4 port
firewire card installed. After hooking up the cable, and power I dropped my
Mythbuntu system into setup and configured the two new boxes with the proper
lineups. One mythfilldatabase run later I launched the frontend. I decided
to test the new connections by recording on three HD channels at once.

All three recordings went off perfectly. I spent less than 15 minutes on
this.

The ability to identify STB's by the GUID in 0.21 is what made all of this
work. Thank you to the developers and those who informed me of how that
worked.

Wifey is very pleased with the result. All shows are now recorded in HD if
available.

Joe Borne

"What the vast majority of American children needs is to stop being
pampered, stop being indulged, stop being chauffeured, stop being catered
to. In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what
you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful
human beings."