[mythtv-users] Recording from Sky?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:10:07 UTC 2009

2009/1/12 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/12 Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Adam McCarthy <ug32axm at cs.bham.ac.uk>
>> wrote:

[Snip dragonCAM stuff]

> Thanks Nick. Yes no problem with the valid Sky subscription
> I have been a loyal and eager viewer of this wonderful service since 1992 .

But you do also have a sky subscription?

(sorry, bad joke.)

> Can you share which DVB-S card you used? Also what is a CI and CAM.
> Some kind of card reader I am guessing?

Basically A CAM (Conditional Access Module IIRC) is what your
subscription card plugs into, a CI (CAM Interface?) is where your CAM
plugs in.

If you were to buy a satalite box on the continent it's quite likely
it would have a large gaping hole in the front, this is where you plug
your CAM into, and your subscription card goes into that.

The idea was (is?) that you buy a CAM from your satallite provider and
then they issue you with a subscription card for you to use in that
CAM. The CAM changes rarely, if ever, and controlled the decryption of
the satallite signal, but the subscription card controls what you're
allowed to actually decrypt.

As I understand it the agreement Sky has with Astra basically says
that Sky has to sell a suitable CAM, unfortunatly it's worded exactly
like that, and they did sell /a/ CAM.. once.

Grr.

Hopefully FreeSat will force them to make seperate CAM modules
available so people who want to use Myth and the like yet still
actually pay will have a choice.