[mythtv-users] Recording from Sky?

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:54:57 UTC 2009

Paul Hurley wrote:
> Mike Dent wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Currently we have a Mythtv box with 2 x DVB T tuner cards in. This
>> works fine and serves a good job for terrestrial digital TV
>> We also have an old Sky receiver and a Tivo, Series 1 (I think). We
>> use the Tivo to record Sky content.
>>
>> Recently the Sky box has developed a fault where it puts itself to
>> standby at random times. When this happens and the Tivo is set to
>> record
>> it does not work of course :(
>>
>> Before I look at the options to get the Sky box replaced I'm wondering
>> if there is a workable solution for recording/watching Sky with
>> MythTV?
>>
>> I'm particularly interested in people who are actually doing this and
>> the results they are getting, ie does it satisfy your 'other half'
>> fully? ;)
>>

>> Many thanks
>> Mike
>>

> If you're in the UK (like me) then the problem may be a recent change
> that Sky made that also confused me.  They seem to have updated the stb
> firmware that they occaisonaly send out, and included a "turn to standby
> if not used for two hours' setting.  Try checking the setup menu.  I've
> now disabled mine and it's stopped doing it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

My experience was the same as Paul's.

Now has anyone managed to automate capture of the sky channel numbers?
I have been  stung a couple of times with the semi-regular re-numbering.
Granted it does not take too long to go through them with a mythweb
browser window open alongside sky's web site bit it is still a chore.

-Al

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.