[mythtv-users] Asus M3N78-VM SPDIF

BP lists at qucae.com
Mon Jan 12 06:54:30 UTC 2009

Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am building a new Frontend Backend on this motherboard.  I installed
> MythBuntu and its working ok.  I am trying to get digital sound out of
> the SPDIF output.  When i open alsamixer i dont get a IEC port to
> un-must.
>
> Anyone using this board with digital output?
>
> Thanks,

I had no luck with SPDIF (or hdmi audio) on that board.  At a minimum,
you will need to compile and install ALSA 1.18.  That will at least get
digital sound to show up in alsamixer. I never did get it to light up
the optical output.  I also tried to use a Turtle Beach USB adapter with
that board.  It would work a few times and then the USB port would lock
up.  A reboot was require as I could not unload the usb modules.  All in
all, the board was just not well supported with Linux yet (this was
about two months ago with both 2.6.27 and a 2.6.28 beta kernel on both
Ubuntu and Gentoo).

I switched out the motherboard for Gigabyte GA-MA78GMP-DS2H and a cheap
Nvidia 8500 fanless video card.  Digital sound worked out of the box
without any troubles.