[mythtv-users] nvidia 177.82 pegs mythfrontend when xscreensaver activates during paused program?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 05:16:20 UTC 2009

I use an opengl screen saver in xscreensaver on my myth frontend.
Today I noticed that, if xsceensaver activates while a program in myth
is paused, the screensaver never shows (I just get a black screen) and
the mythfrontend process pegs the CPU.  When it happens, I can't even
kill X on the frontend with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, but have to kill
mythfrontend remotely.  It seems to happen very consistently under
those circumstances.  This only happens if a show is paused, and not
if myth is, for example, at a menu.

I recently upgraded a number of things on my frontend (running
Gentoo).  I traced it to the 177.82 nvidia driver.  I had upgraded
from 173.14.09.

I also upgraded the kernel to 2.6.27, and the original driver version
173.14.09 wouldn't compile against it...however 173.14.15 would, and
that corrected the problem.

Anyone else run into this?  Thanks.

Tom