[mythtv-users] AC3 audio problems

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Mon Jan 12 05:07:40 UTC 2009

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> I have some problems playing some recordings that have AC3 audio tracks.
>
> I know that my hardware is working ok. [...]
>
> If I play the same file through MythTV, with "Enable AC3 passthrough"
> turned on in the configuration, then all I get is noise. [...]

Have you seen my series of posts on this subject a few weeks ago?

The thread was titled:
 "SOLVED: Re: Exasperated: DD/DTS SPDIF works with everything *except*
MythTV"

There was fantastic advice from other people on the list, and I think I
solved exactly this problem.

Here's a summary, but I recommend you read the whole thread.

Rename or delete asound.conf and .asoundrc.
Set the passthrough device to ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }
Audio output device to ALSA:spdif.
If you are running Fedora, get rid of Pulse Audio (not trivial apparently).
Turn on iec958 in alsamixer
Turn off Agressive Sound card buffering
Upmix set to "Passive"
"Use video as timebase" *must* be unchecked if you want AC3 audio to work.

cheers,
-kt