[mythtv-users] Recording from Sky?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Jan 12 00:49:01 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> Currently we have a Mythtv box with 2 x DVB T tuner cards in. This
> works fine and serves a good job for terrestrial digital TV
> We also have an old Sky receiver and a Tivo, Series 1 (I think). We
> use the Tivo to record Sky content.
>
> Recently the Sky box has developed a fault where it puts itself to
> standby at random times. When this happens and the Tivo is set to
> record
> it does not work of course :(
>
> Before I look at the options to get the Sky box replaced I'm wondering
> if there is a workable solution for recording/watching Sky with
> MythTV?
>
> I'm particularly interested in people who are actually doing this and
> the results they are getting, ie does it satisfy your 'other half'
> fully? ;)
>

> Many thanks
> Mike

Are you in the UK or NZ - both countries have Sky (and DVB-T).

If the latter then just get a new box from Sky (not been in the UK for a
few years so YMMV there) - it will be part of your plan - no other options
as all Sky traffic is encrypted (no, there are no cracks that I'm aware
of).

A cheapie PVR150 on the svideo output of the Sky box will capture quite
nicely with MythTV. You'll just need an IR blaster to change channels on
the Sky boxen - trivial (serial port, resistor, diode, IR LED!!).

I have the basic package that gives me some 30 channels (3 or 4 of which I
use!!)

--
Robin Gilks