[mythtv-users] Problems setting up a grabber (was Re: Warning it looks like uk_rt grabber is going to stop working over XMAS again?)

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Jan 11 09:16:30 UTC 2009

UB40D wrote:
> I look at the file dump.txt that I obtained by running
>
> tv_grab_uk_rt --quiet --config-file /home/tv/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv >
> dump.txt
>
> and it starts like this:
>   <channel id="bbcfour.bbc.co.uk">
>
> So, am I doing the right thing if, for BBC FOUR, say, I just poke that "
> bbcfour.bbc.co.uk" in the xmltvid column of the BBC FOUR row of the channel
> table?

Yes. (BTW: you can either do this directly in mysql, or you can use
mythweb).

> How about your "will need to update the XMLTV configuration channel at the
> same time
> to keep everything in sync"? I look into /home/tv/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv and
> it starts with

The channel IDs in grabber configuration files are not necessarily
xmltvids. In the case of this particular grabber they are, but that is
not universally the case. The grabber's output is the right place to
look for what needs to go into the database.

> Now, this already seems to have a line "channel=bbcfour.bbc.co.uk"; am I
> right in thinking that there's nothing else to update here?

If the grabber generates output for each of the channels you're
interested in there is indeed no further need for modifications to the
grabber's config file.

 > In fact, since
> the dump was generated from an invocation that referred to this config file,
> isn't it easier just to poke the ids FROM this
> /home/tv/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv file into the channel database table without
> even referring to the dump.txt file? Or am I missing something?

That would work for this particular grabber but not for all. For example
I also use the French grabber for a number of channels, and its config
file specifies channels like so (only one channel shown):

channel 10 tv5;http://static.digitalmondadori.fr/gtv/visu/chaine/tv5.gif

The xmltvid for that channel, as seen in the grabber's output, is
C10.telepoche.com, and that's what goes into the mythtv database.

Cheers, Jan