[mythtv-users] Strange dvb-s lock issues

Mark Guz mark at guz.org.uk
Sun Jan 11 09:07:45 UTC 2009

Hi all

I have a strange problem with my hauppauge nova dvb-s2 card and mythtv.

When I connected up for the first time I could get no lock to any
transponders. It worked ok on the normal settop box. I did much
googling and learned many things about sattelite signals and voltage
and horizontal and vertical things and diseqc settings etc etc and set
everything up as advised (I'm tuned to Astra 2D). Still it would not
work, until I made a strange discovery. I started to unscrew the cable
from the card one time while myth was trying to scan channels and just
as i had the connector nearly off it suddenly got a lock and started
working perfectly.

I figured it was a dodgy connector so i replaced it. However when I
rebooted myth I found it couldn't lock again.. Until I unscrewed the
connector and wiggled it a little on the card socket. then once again
I have no problems getting all of the freesat channels.

I am completely stumped. I do not need to do this on the old sky
digibox i've got, just on the dvb-s2 card. And before you say it's the
card. I had an HVR-3000, and a Nova dvb-s card and they behave the
same.

Does anyone out there have a clue why wiggling the connector loosely
on the card would allow the lock to happen? and why this would only
happen on the computer and not the digibox?

Any help or pointers to other forums would be greatly appreciated.

My set up is.

Asus- A8V Mobo
4Gb ram
AMD 64bit 3Ghz CPU
Hauppauge PVR350
Hauppauge DVB-T 500
Hauppauge DVB-S2
Mythtv SVN branch.

I have tried this with the stable myth 0.21 and it's no different from the SVN

Hope someone can offer some advice , Thanks!

Mark Guz