[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythVodka, MythStream and other streaming MythTV plugins

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Jan 11 03:56:03 UTC 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Matthew <m.mythtv at grojguys.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm just coming up to speed with being a MythTV power-user, so
>> maybe I'm not
>> understanding all the dynamics here.  But I have a question....
>>
>> I just came across XBMC and installed it on my Gentoo MythTV
>> front-end/back-end system.  The UI is phenomenal, plus it has native
>> capability to serve as a front-end for MythTV.   Plus there are
>> numerous
>> plug-ins and scripts to support lots of streaming video and audio
>> sources/websites.   XBMC is of course originally for XBox, but is now
>> available for Linux, Mac, and Windows as well.
>>
>> My question is, what would be the reason *not* to use XBMC as a
>> front-end
>> for MythTV, and leave MythTV to the PVR thing it is really good
>> at?  There
>> are already plenty of XBMC plugins, but only a few for MythTV.
>> Seems like
>> this might even expand the popularity of MythTV.

> XBMC is no more a "frontend" to MythTV than mplayer is.  It's a UI
> that is capable of playing Myth's recordings an accessing Live TV.
> That's *it*.

Not to dispute that Myth Frontend is *the* full-featured interface,
but xbmc is a bit more than just a player. I don't know off-hand all
the things that are implemented, but it's quite a bit more than just
watching recordings. I say I'm not sure what it offers because the
last time I installed it, it was so broken I couldn't really get it to
do anything. :)

>   <snipped really cool stuff>

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will stir up lots of
discussion, but I wanted to say thank you for putting to much thought
into the upcoming possibilities of themes. I finally feel inspired to
make one of my own. I'm sure I'll be using what you put together as a
guide once you've gotten it to the point where it's ready for others
to use.

-Brad