[mythtv-users] How to extract subtitles/captions from DVB-T using ProjectX?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Jan 11 00:13:46 UTC 2009

UB40D wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk
> <mailto:mythlist at assursys.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, UB40D wrote:
>
>     > As we know, mythtranscode destroys the DVB-T subtitles/captions
>     (which by
>     > the way are in the stream as character data, not bitmaps).
>
>     Are you quite sure about that? I was under the impression that
>     they're in
>     the stream as a series of bitmaps, like DVDs.
>

> In ProjectX, the drop-down Presettings > Presettings > Subtitle >
> Schriftart even lets you choose which font you want to render them in,
> for SUP output, so it's obvious that those bitmaps are being generated
> on the fly.

All the subtitles on the DVB-T channels on freeview  that I have seen
use bitmap subtitles. There are text based subtitle formats in use that
are embed in the VBI like the teletext subtitles in Europe and I think
the CC stuff in the states but  there are no  DVB-T channels in the UK
that still use them TTBOMK.

Paul H.