[mythtv-users] How to extract subtitles/captions from DVB-T using ProjectX?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 21:40:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, UB40D wrote:

> As we know, mythtranscode destroys the DVB-T subtitles/captions (which by
> the way are in the stream as character data, not bitmaps).

Are you quite sure about that? I was under the impression that they're in
the stream as a series of bitmaps, like DVDs. Page 9 of
<http://www.bjpace.com.cn/data/tec/tec-DVB/DVB BlueBooks
Standards/Specifications and Standards/subtitling/dvb-sub/Ets300743_e1.pdf>
supports this view:

"To provide efficient use of the display memory in the decoder this
subtitling system uses region based graphics with indexed pixel colours."

> Me, I'd just like something much simpler: a text file with all the text
> and nothing more. I have tried selecting an output of "txt" and also an
> output of "none" but neither has produced the desired text file.
>
> Has anyone managed to extract the text? If so, what are the steps?

I think you'll need to individually OCR those bitmaps, and concatenate the
result. Maybe I'll go have a play with gocr.

> Thanks

HTH,
Alex.