[mythtv-users] How to extract subtitles/captions from DVB-T using ProjectX?

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 10 21:18:40 UTC 2009

As we know, mythtranscode destroys the DVB-T subtitles/captions (which by
the way are in the stream as character data, not bitmaps).

Having temporarily given up on a lossless and caption-preserving way to
apply the cutlist, a secondary goal for me would be at least to preserve the
captions as a textual transcript. To that effect I have been playing around
with ProjectX but without success so far.

I am able to have ProjectX produce a series of hundreds of bitmaps with the
words (with font of my choosing), one for each "sentence". These are for
people who want to make DVDs. Me, I'd just like something much simpler: a
text file with all the text and nothing more. I have tried selecting an
output of "txt" and also an output of "none" but neither has produced the
desired text file.

Has anyone managed to extract the text? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks