[mythtv-users] Mythtv tends to freeze when switching off LiveTV

Paul van Gerven baloedebruinebeer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 17:02:35 UTC 2009

Well, the subject line says it all. About 1 in 5 times, I have to wait 16
seconds before the menu appears after switching off live TV (see below how I
know this number so accurately). On rare occasions, Mythfrontend doesn't
recover at all.

This is what causes it (from the frontend log):

2008-12-30 14:02:03.736
RingBuf(/media/mythtv/intrepid/1007_20081230140055.mpg) Error: Waited 16
seconds for data, aborting.

There is nothing in the backend log at the same time that indicates an
error, but I do not know how to turn on verbose logging there.

The error was described a long time ago, and supposedly fixed (
http://www.mail-archive.com/mythtv-commits@mythtv.org/msg05500.html) and I
cannot find recent reports of it, yet the problem is very real for me.

Using Mythtv 0.21.0 from the repositories of Ubuntu Intrepid, completely up
to date.

Regards,

Paul