[mythtv-users] MythArchive - DVD created with movies doesn't show subtitles.... HELP!!!

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 10 16:26:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> The transcoding app does not support preserving subtitles/captions.  See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/231851#231851 and the
> rest of the thread for a discussion of why/the problems with trying to
> allow it.

In that informative thread, user mythtv0368, seemingly speaking as the
author of that piece of code, said two years ago that implementing a TS to
TS transcoding (able to preserve the subtitles/captions) "has been near the
top of [his] list for a while".

If one did a truly lossless operation, eg with cut points only allowed on
i-frames and cutlists implemented by dropping anything in red and copying
verbatim anything in green, wouldn't this be the simplest and fastest
possible "transcoding" code imaginable? Wouldn't it also be very useful for
those, like me, who would like to preserve the original broadcast quality
and features (teletext included) and just remove the commercials and the
"margin minutes" before and after the show? I am somewhat surprised not to
see more demand for such a facility.