[mythtv-users] CAM's with network recorder

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:12:32 UTC 2009

2009/1/9 Torben Mikael Hansen <myth at linhard.dk>:
> Hi
>
> I've just set up mythtv with a network recorder as the only input card,
> streaming iptv from/via my isp. However some of the channels are
> scrambled.>
>
> Have anyone had any success on descrambling iptv channels on mythtv?
> Either with soft CAM's or a CAM/CI connected to the computer.
>
> The scrambled channels are provided by VIASAT (Scandinavia) and I've
> read that they use NDS VideoGuard.
>
> Regards
> Torben

Let's turn this discussion into something constructive.

At this point, I am not suggesting anything illegal. My answer is
about IPTV recorders and networked recorders in general.

An example of a device that makes steps in a certain direction is the
Reelbox Netceiver networked recorder. Their client connects to the
open source dvbloopback kernel module (which open source, legal and
can be found at http://cpn.dyndns.org/projects/dvbloop.shtml ), which
makes the networked recorder appear as a normal (albeit virtual) dvb
device in linux. Their client is also open source and can be found at
the Reelbox svn.

My point is, would it be possible to make an IPTV client that would
present the IPTV source as a standard DVB device under linux (albeit
virtual through the use of the dvbloop module)? I think it would,
according to the above implementation.

This would open up a number of interesting possibilities.

Best regards,
Johan