[mythtv-users] Best atsc/qam/ntsc tuner for closed captions?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Jan 10 05:34:08 UTC 2009

I've started thinking about my next Myth box and need some advice on
tuners. This box must be able to tune atsc/qam and ntsc channels and
closed captions MUST be supported on all three channel types. I assume
there's no issue with CCs and atsc/qam channels, other than choosing to
playback EIA-608 vs 708. But what about CCs and ntsc channels?

I've been doing research on tuners that support both digital and analog
and am confused about whether there are any whose drivers support closed
captions when recording analog channels. Both linuxtv.org and mythtv.org
wikis seem to agree that CC is not yet supported for the Hauppauge
HVR-1600. But there's no clear statement on either wiki about the
pcHDTV-5500. So I thought I'd ask here whether anyone is getting closed
captions on ntsc channels using a tuner that also supports atsc/qam. If
so, what tuner and what myth version and distro are you using?

FWIW, I'm a basic cable subscriber to WOW in metro Detroit, so I expect
to need an ntsc tuner for some time. I'd like to record the handful of
clear qam channels I see on my HDTV. If I get fed up with my cable
provider, I might try antenna at some point in time. Being close to
Canada, I'll want to tune in their analog broadcasts. I've currently got
a single BE/FE with a PVR-150 running ubuntu 7.10 and mythtv 0.20.2. I
want to leave that box alone while I build and test a new BE/FE that
supports both analog and digital. When I'm happy with the new box, I'll
convert the existing box into a slave BE/FE. I'm thinking the new box
will run mythbuntu 8.10 and mythtv 0.21.

TIA,
Helen