[mythtv-users] MythArchive - DVD created with movies doesn't show subtitles.... HELP!!!

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Jan 9 19:00:15 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/08/2009 09:40 PM, José Tomás @ Chico wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have two movies, "88 minutes", and "Death at a Funeral" which I want
>> to show to my girlfriend.
>> For both of them play shows subtitles as I required.
>> So I decided to generate for the first time with MythArchive a single
>> DVD with both movies.
>>
>> But since my girlfriend needs the subtitles I select settings so
>> subtitles were available on DVD.
>> Something is wrong in the MythArchive's generated DVD there is some
>> registration for unknown subtitles, but without contents.
>> So the result DVD have films ok but without subtitles
>>
>> Pls, what is wrong or missing here ?
>>

> The transcoding app does not support preserving subtitles/captions.  See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/231851#231851 and the
> rest of the thread for a discussion of why/the problems with trying to
> allow it.
>
> So, you'll need to find a different app to create your DVD's.  (Sorry,
> but I can't recommend any.)  Or, at the very least, will need to do some
> manual work to preserve the subtitles and/or convert captions to DVD
> subtitles.
>
> (OK, I'll admit that it may be possible to use other apps--like
> ProjectX--with MythArchive, but I don't think MythArchive supports
> keeping the subtitles even if ProjectX does.)
>
> Mike

Actually MythArchive has been able to create DVD's with subtitles for
about 12 months now :-) It will only work with DVB subtitles, you have
to use ProjectX as the cutter/demuxer and IIRC you _have_ to choose not
to re-encode the file or else you loose the subtitles in the process.
Someone is working on changing the order things are done
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5625 last comment in that ticket) so
ProjectX would be run first and then ffmpeg would be used to re-encode.
Not entirely sure how he intends to do it, it could add another
demux/re-mux to the equation with all the problems associated with
keeping every thing in sync?

Paul H.