[mythtv-users] CAM's with network recorder

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:58:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> On Fri, January 9, 2009 9:10 am, OCG Technical Support wrote:
>> Yes this is a touchy topic!  "Fair use" and "legal" are not
>> synonymous...and
>> this list has to (should) walk the legal line, not the fair use line.
>>
>> I would suggest you visit the happysat web site to look into "sasc-ng".
>> If
>> use of this software is legal where you live, you may be able to achieve
>> what you want.
>>
>> Since sasc-ng's operation is independent of Myth, there's not much this
>> forum/group can offer you in terms of assistance anyway.
>>

> As these topics seem to come up from time to time, I think this sort of
> response is much better than the plain "Not allowed!"
>
> I think it is great to point people to web resources where they can get
> their questions answered.
>
> (And if the DMCA prohibits that, then we're really screwed and the
> constitution is in shreds....)
>
> --Yan

I don't think the issue is that providing this type of advice itself
is illegal, but it certainly seems that we as a community are tacitly
giving approval if we give people the resources to do this stuff.  The
project doesn't need that-- there are enough entities out there trying
to cast people using myth in a totally *legal* configuration in a bad
light, how does giving this kind of advice reflect on us?  If
something is offlimits, it's offlimits.

"Oh, it's not legal where myth is based, but you can look here!" has
an inherent "wink wink nudge nudge" implication that is just as bad as
giving the information in the first place.  IMHO we really need to
avoid this.

Robert