[mythtv-users] How to make a DB4 TV antenna

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Fri Jan 9 16:05:06 UTC 2009

Peter A. Daly wrote:
> I was looking though my MythPVR.com logs a couple weeks ago, and saw
> a lot of traffic to my How to make a TV antenna page.
>
> I was suprised, since it's not a page I had spent much time creating,
> it was really more just a plug for an interesting YouTube video I
> found.
>
> I decided it was time to do it right and spent some time researching
> the topic to get consensus on the specific measurements and the best
> way to do it.
> I then drew up some instructions and created Google Sketchup based
> diagrams.
>
> Since much of the search engine traffic doesn't really seem to be
> MythTV related, although the topic is related to MythTV, I put the
> updated howto on a new domain, TVAntennaPlans.com. In the two weeks
> it has been up, the site has already seen 670 vistors, well beyond my
> expectations.
>
> Check it out, and digg it if you like it.
> http://www.tvantennaplans.com

The crossing wires on the 2x4 (as shown on the image) should probably be
"insulated" and not "insulted".  I don't think hurting their feelings will
increase performance at all :P

This antenna as specced is designed for UHF DTV.  It works spectacularly.
However, if you have DTV channels in the VHF band, this antenna will need to
be made larger to effectively pick them up.  I've built one, but all my
channels are ~48 +-10.  Have you had anyone write to you about not picking
up channel 2 frequency assignment?

Brian