[mythtv-users] VDPAU profile correct? High X server load

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:05:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com> says:
>> The picture quality is fantastic, much better than any other
>> playback method I have used,
>
> What other playback methods have you used? How is VDPAU's output
> better, visually? Please satisfy the curiosity of us deprived of its
> wonders.

I've tried all of them, basically, aside from OSX related stuff. When
I say quality I should have clarified that to be the lack of motion
blur, or whatever you want to call it. It was most noticeable when
watching HD hockey that was recorded OTA. With any other method, I
could just tell that there was some slight blurring, like it was
subtly dropping frames. With VDPAU, the picture is much more 'solid'
for lack of a better term. Analog cable recordings of hockey also seem
to look much better as well. I have a Core2Duo E2180 and a 9500GT
driving a 57" Sony RPTV at 720P, and I am quite happy now. Not that I
wasn't before, but it's better now. :)

Tom