[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jan 9 04:20:50 UTC 2009

Doug Lytle wrote:
> Interesting:
>
> http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/obama-recommends-delay-in-digital-tv-switch/?hp

Consumer's Union is supporting this, too.

I have mixed feelings.  I'm not that keen on the digital switch to begin
with -- I don't think the consumer benefits are worth the cost, and I
don't like the way it introduces DRM capabilities into the official TV
standards.  But it's already been delayed for two years, and it seems
like delaying further might provoke lawsuits from the entities that the
government has sold the analog spectrum to.

I actually think the worst-publicized (and worst-thought-out) part of
the whole transition is the channel reshuffling that's supposed to
happen in February.