[mythtv-users] VDPAU Current Status Report

Kashan Jafri kashan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 03:10:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/8 Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>:
> > Ok so after doing a bunch of trial and error here is what i get.
> >
> > using r19597 driver 180.16
>
> Sorry for the delay - I missed this for some reason yesterday. Clearly
> you probably need to upgrade to 180.22 now - although I wasted an hour
> of my life getting it to install this morning!
>
> > Using Advanced 2x HW is completely un-watchable.  Moving to Bob2x is
> > better but here are the results.
> >
> > All samples are OTA HD in 1080i or 720p.  I have my profiles set up if
> > that video is 720 deinter. are set to none.  If 1080i use Bob.
> >
> > when playing HD from 1080 or 720 it works fine.
> >
> > BUT when watching a SD recording (still OTA digital) I get a strange
> > ghosting look.  The video doesnt studder but its like there is a 3 or
> > so frames over the top of the current one.
> > Here is the log:
> > 2009-01-07 22:08:45.293 NVP(3): LoadFilters(''..) -> 0x0
> > 2009-01-07 22:08:45.297 OSD Theme Dimensions W: 640 H: 480
> snip
> > 'video_output' mean = '33363.13', std. dev. = '398.73', fps = '29.97'
> > 'video_output' mean = '33363.22', std. dev. = '327.19', fps = '29.97'
>
> I've not seen this at all -  check the newest driver. Have you tried
> changing the scan while it's playing? are the fields reversed?
>

> > At random times when playing a video i get a black screen, no audio or
> > video; to recover i must kill frontend:
> snip
> > 2009-01-07 22:05:25.671 VideoOutputXv: InitSetupBuffers() render:
> > vdpau, allowed: vdpau
> > Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x2c)!
> > Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x2c) in reply type 0x0!
> > X Error: 0 0
> >  Major opcode: 0 ()
> >  Resource id:  0x0
>
> Again, not something I've seen but, as you're probably aware, there
> are ongoing issues with x crashes in recent trunk. This may not be
> entirely vdpau related. Also possibly related to other blank screen
> issues.
>
> If it persists, raise a ticket with full -v playback logs etc.
>
> > Some times It will play audio but no video; to recover i can escape key out.:
> > 2009-01-07 22:07:25.601 VideoOutputXv: DiscardFrames() 3:
> snip
> > 'video_output' mean = '33363.22', std. dev. = '327.19', fps = '29.97'
>
> Plenty more discussion on the list about this. I don't think it's
> going to go away in a hurry - I suspect there is a proper workaround
> but debugging it is tricky.
>
> For me it happens if I swtich to another window, or more annoyingly,
> if something else on the desktop takes the focus during playback.
>
> > Looking through these sample I cant really see any issues with the
> > ghosting.  You guys see anything?
>
> Definitely try the new driver. Is it some odd video resolution?

Mark,

I found that I had to increase the number of output surfaces in
util-vdpau from the default of 2 in order to get stutter-free playback
of 1080i MPEG2 on a 1080p monitor with any of the 2x hw deinterlacers
on my 9500GT. The default value of 2 was fine for the 1x
deinterlacers, but with any of the 2x ones (even bob) I was getting
dropped frames and messages saying the video was 3 seconds behind
audio. I increased it to 5 output surfaces and I now have perfectly
smooth playback (passes the ticker test) with advanced 2x hw deint. I
haven't bothered trying any other values, so lower ones may work as
well. NVIDIA recommends using more than 2 output surfaces for
performance reasons here:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.22/README/appendix-h-section-03.html.

Kashan