[mythtv-users] Network boot

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 01:16:34 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
>> Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> Paul, "until the Myth frontend GUI is up and running" carefully omits the fact
>>> that, on my minimyth system anyway, the front end spends longer building the
>>> theme cache, twice, than it does booting up. Is there something magic I've not
>>> figured out how to do? Isn't the cache, well, cached anywhere?
>> On MiniMyth, you can save the themecache as long as you have configured
>> the MiniMyth read-write configuration directory on your server. Just go
>> into the MiniMyth tools menu on your MythTV frontend GUI
>> (Utilities/Setup->MiniMyth Tools) and select "Save Themecache". This
>> will cause MiniMyth to create a squashfs image of your themecache and
>> save it to your MiniMyth read-write configuration directory. During
>> boot, MiniMyth looks for the themecache squashfs image and uses it.
>>
> I've done all that, and nothing useful seems to happen. I've assumed it might be
> some kind of permissions problem, but I can't find any obvious flaws.

The permissions on the TFTP server can be somewhat tricky. First, the
user running the TFTP server must have access to the conf-rw directory.
Second, at least some TFTP servers require a special command line flag
to enable the TFTP server to create files. In the case of the TFTP
server that comes with CentOS 5.x, the '-c' command line option must be
added in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp.