[mythtv-users] backends without tuners (was Re: Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 8 23:47:03 UTC 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:57:17PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> "Remove" meaning don't run it--don't uninstall it.
>>
>> Curious as to why you recommend leaving the backend installed on a
>> frontend machine. If there are no tuners on the machine, it's not
>> good
>> and even potentially harmful to run.
>
> since when is it harmful?
>
> i have BE installed on all my FE boxes (mostly amd64 workstations with
> myth installed so we can watch TV & videos at our desk if we want)
> just
> to make use of additional CPU power while transcoding multiple shows
> at
> once. it works fine. i start the transcoding jobs manually after
> editing
> out the ads...sometimes there are 8 or more transcoding jobs running
> at
> once.
>
> in fact, myth's network-centric model was the main reason i switched
> from running VDR to myth last year....was waiting for multirec. since
> then, i've gone from VDR w/ one tuner card on one machine (plus an
> xbox
> running xbmc) to myth w/ 5 tuner cards on 4 machines (with the xbox
> retired).

<cut a bunch of setup stuff>

Running mythbackend without tuners is an unsupported configuration.
You will get warning messages about it and may break in some cases (or
in the future) and no one will fix it because it's unsupported. It's
only by chance that it's working for you.

The supported method of running jobs on other machines that do not
have tuners is to run mythjobqueue.

-Brad