[mythtv-users] Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 8 21:53:01 UTC 2009

On 01/08/2009 04:39 PM, Will wrote:
> I have a Master Backend, and several frontends.
>
> Recently I set up a diskless machine with PXE boot for a mythtv
> frontend. On another frontend, I went to the information page and saw
> that transcoding was being done on "ubuntu".
>
> For some reason, this diskless machine was doing the transcoding!
>
> How can I restrict which computers transcode (or only have my master
> backend transcode)?
>
> This diskless machine does not have a tuner, and there is no reason it
> should be transcoding. No other machine (including master backend) was
> busy.

Run mythtv-setup on the host you don't want to perform transcodes and
disable:

Allow Transcoding jobs
Allow jobs of this type to run on this backend.

Yes, it says backend.  Yes, I realize you're not running a backend on
that system, but it still applies.

You may also want to disable "Allow Commercial Detection jobs" and/or
the User Jobs on the host.  All of the settings are in the General
backend settings section of mythtv-setup.

Yes, even if it's a frontend only machine you /must/ install
mythtv-setup on the system to do the proper configuration--and yes, that
means you'll "waste" an extra 150KB to a few megabytes of storage space
on the hard drive.

Note that the /only/ supported configuration of mythtv is a complete
frontend and backend installation (though you can choose not to run one
or the other).  If you don't have mythbackend/mythtv-setup stuff on your
frontend, complain to your packager.

Oh, and the only reason it's doing it on the frontend is because the
frontend was the next-available system that was allowed to run that type
of job.  So it's not that it doesn't ever/won't run on the backend, just
that it didn't that time.

Mike