[mythtv-users] Death blow to DRm and the eventuality for the MPAA

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 8 17:41:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 02:38:27PM +0100, Francesco Peeters (linux) wrote:

> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com
> > <mailto:joe.borne at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     The thing that killed DRM was when the mp3 player became
> >     ubiquitous and the idea of having a CD collection became well,
> >     silly compared to using your PC/iPod. Right now we are seeing the
> >     emergance of video into the same small footprint with the same
> >     portability. When those small footprint devices with video
> >     delivery capability become as common as the iPod is now, the DRM
> >     on video media will suffer the same fate. People simply will not
> >     tolerate restrictions on content they feel they have purchased and
> >     have the right to view and use however they want.
> >
> Those devices are already here... They are called iPods...  ;-)

...which is already geared to getting an emerging market used to
the idea of a video format with DRM embedded in it.

More non-ipod video players need to get a foodhold before there
will be a DRM backlash in video. Infact, the relative anemic
performance of bluray in the market coupled with timing may work
against our favor here.

DVD is more common and it's easily cracked. A lot of stuff probably
won't ever be out on bluray or won't benefit from it. A lot of stuff
on the iTunes store is like this.

People will have to get much more accustomed to DVD (and by extension
BD) ripping before the same sort of situation with MP3's happen there.

Although I could see ipods undermining cable labs and their stranglehold
on HD recordings.

"Why can't I watch my copy of the lastest Heroes on the train that I
recorded at home?"