[mythtv-users] DTV switch means dealing with multiple STB's via firewire - HELP!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:22:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17th my cable company will switch to an all digital lineup. Wifey is
> pretty used to having three inputs to my MythBox in order to avoid recording
> conflicts (one via firewire, two analog). So obviously I need to find a
> solution before the switch.
>
> I currently have a 4 port firewire card in my MythTV system. I haven't
> really dealt with the issue of firewire since early `07 when I first set it
> all up. I recall that using multiple cable STB's via firewire was
> problematical back then due to the issue of ports being reassigned
> dynamically if there was a reboot or other reset event.
>
> I'd rather not have to turn another home system into a backend if I can
> avoid it. So my question for the guru's is this:
>
> Does anyone have a reliable solution for using several firewire connected
> set top boxes on the same backend? If so, can you describe the setup and
> hardware used?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Joe Borne

I wrote this script for my backend channel changer that works 99.9999%
of the time for me.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff#6200changer.sh

I have my two boxen daisy-chained to a single firewire port and I have
Myth's bus reset option disabled.

Modify it as needed for your boxen.

--
Steve