[mythtv-users] Network boot

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 16:14:55 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
>>> On boot up you get about a 30 sec period where your pxe network card
>>> is getting an address and downloading the kernel.  Once that is loaded
>>> its exactly the same as local.
>> That sounds somewhat long. On my systems, it takes about 15 seconds from
>>   the time that the BIOS enters network boot mode until the system has
>> loaded the kernel and root file system (a squashfs) into RAM. After
>> that, it takes about 20 seconds until the Myth frontend GUI is up and
>> running.
>>
> Agreed. I also run some LTSP 4.2 terminals here, and it's 40 seconds from
> power-on to login window, something which amazed the wife, who is used to making
> a coffee while Windows comes up.
>
> Paul, "until the Myth frontend GUI is up and running" carefully omits the fact
> that, on my minimyth system anyway, the front end spends longer building the
> theme cache, twice, than it does booting up. Is there something magic I've not
> figured out how to do? Isn't the cache, well, cached anywhere?

On MiniMyth, you can save the themecache as long as you have configured
the MiniMyth read-write configuration directory on your server. Just go
into the MiniMyth tools menu on your MythTV frontend GUI
(Utilities/Setup->MiniMyth Tools) and select "Save Themecache". This
will cause MiniMyth to create a squashfs image of your themecache and
save it to your MiniMyth read-write configuration directory. During
boot, MiniMyth looks for the themecache squashfs image and uses it.