[mythtv-users] Script error on IMDB lookup

James Reinders reinders at acm.org
Thu Jan 8 10:10:40 UTC 2009

> Script error on IMDB lookup
> I'm receiving the following error when looking up "The Departed".
>

> /usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl: Use
> of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
> at /usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl line
> 327.
>
> After accepting "OK" all the movie info is populated except the image.
>
> Anyone had the same for other movies?
>
> Jim.

Yes, I got the same error - and then I figured out the cause.

There is a programming error (imdb.pl) where a particular failure to
fetch a web page will lead to an uninitialized variable - which causes
the error to pop-up.
Based on looking at the script - I don't think the error actually
causes anything bad to happen - other than the annoying pop-up.  The
fix to the script won't be hard now that the error is identified.

I've entered a new defect report against it.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6095

I was able to pluck out the key details from /var/log/mythtv/
mythfronend.log.
Always a good place to look for clues.

- james