[mythtv-users] Which PCI-e slot for my video card

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 03:33:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Claude Gélinas <claude at phyto.qc.ca> wrote:

> I need to free space to be able to add a PVR1600 card but the only PCI
> slot available is blocked by my video card which is a nvidia 9800 GT. My
> Mb is an asus M3A32-MVP with 4 PCI-e 16x slot. Could I put my video card
> in PCI-e slot #3 to free the PCI slot that I need

As long you are only using 1 video card I don't think it will matter what
slot you put it in. When you start putting multiple videocards in for SLI or
Crossfire then some of the slots will usually run at x8 instead of the full
x16. So even though you have 4 x16 slots you can't use all four at x16 at
the same time. Your motherboards specs say:

4 x PCIe x16 with ATI CrossFireX™ support, @ dual x16; tripple x16 / x8 /
x8; or quad x8 modes

You can read your manual to double check all this, or you can just try it
out and see if it works.