[mythtv-users] Dual port tuner card or USB adapter?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:34:54 UTC 2009

On 07/01/2009, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I realise the USB tuner sticks work with Mythtv/Linux/Ubuntu but I'm
>  wondering if they will likely be more of a bottleneck or put more load
>  on the processor than the PC I cards?

Some USB DVB-T sticks (mainly those using USB 1.1 I think) filter the
DVB transport stream in hardware and transfer only the current tuned
channel. This means they are useless for multirec, which requires
access to the whole transport stream to enable multiple simultaneous
recordings to be made from a tuned multiplex using a single card.

2 cards/sticks, coupled with multirec, makes for a very useful
configuration. The Linux TV DVB wiki contains detailed information on
supported cards and USB sticks (you'd want a USB 2.0-based stick).

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: