[mythtv-users] The death blow to DRM has arrived

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:27:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Wed, January 7, 2009 9:48 am, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > BluRay is in much the same position, but there hasn't been enough time
> > to crack things as thoroughly as has been done with DVD, but it's
> > happening.
>
> It's more restricted than DVD, though, because compromised BluRay keys can
> be disabled in future releases.

The hacks that have made blu-ray playback are more sophisticated as well.
Currently slysoft and some of the guys over at doom9.org have recreated the
virtual machine that is used in normal players to decrypt the BD+/AACS. It
was cracked completely at that point. They can't fix it by changing or
revoking keys. They are pretty much left to finding nuances and loopholes in
their proprietary code that they can exploit. Last count I think the blu-ray
camp was ahead but I doubt it will last long. And they can only do things
about newest releases. All blu-rays released before a month or so ago can be
played now. Check out these slashdot summaries and see who you think will
win in the end:

Analyst Says Blu-ray DRM Safe For 10 Years
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/09/2333207

Doom9 Researchers Break BD+
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/01/1728222