[mythtv-users] Fans, or cooling video cards

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:07:19 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 01:25:52 pm Ian Clark wrote:
> 2009/1/7 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> [snip]
>
> > Water cooling adds complexity and potential problems that are best
> > avoided if at all possible.
>
> Amen to that! It always amazes me that most people are so blasé about
> putting water and expensive electronics together!

Well, the water-cooling products are pretty well tested these days.  It really
is a great way to silently cool a standard (i.e. hot) PC.  My main front-end
is a water-cooled custom built packed into an HTPC case.  It works great, but
is not exactly cheap... I went with the Zalman reserator 2, which looks nice
next to the rest of the theater components, but it cost me about $250.

If I had to do it over, I would go with the mac-mini.  I didn't know about it
and the other fanless options at the time, but I am still pleased with the
results if not the price.