[mythtv-users] Fans, or cooling video cards

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:25:52 UTC 2009

2009/1/7 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
[snip]
> Water cooling adds complexity and potential problems that are best avoided if
> at all possible.

Amen to that! It always amazes me that most people are so blasé about
putting water and expensive electronics together!

> Air cooling is to be preferred, excpet perhaps by gamers to whom complexity is
> a good thing.

and lets be honest, most of the time it's bragging rights more than
actual necessity. If you're running a super overclocked CPU and 2 x2
GPUs in quad crossfire maybe, but for most people it's overkill and
potentially more hazzardous.

Oh, and you have to maintain water cooling too. (Mind you, an
occasionaly clean of a heatsink doesn't go amis.)

FWIW I've got a Core2Quad overclocked on air to 3.5g perfectly stably,
and that can get CPU temps into the 70s sometimes.

Ian