[mythtv-users] The death blow to DRM has arrived

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:49:45 UTC 2009

> The iTunes thing is interesting.  What I don't understand is that the
> choice to use DRM or not was (I thought) mainly based on the record
> companies involved. Is Apple saying they've all agreed to this?

The record companies didn't like how Apple controlled the whole market. So
they have been withholding DRM free music rights to iTunes so that 1) they
could help build up iTunes competitors 2) more importantly they wanted
tiered pricing (i.e. they want to sell popular songs for more money), but
Apple wouldn't allow it. This most recent deal Apple allowed tiered pricing
and studios gave them DRM free music. Although I don't think Apple was at
all interested in DRM free music until they felt they had a comfortable
monopoly and DRM started to be an issue with the majority of consumers.