[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:26:20 UTC 2009

2009/1/7 Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>:
> Steve Daniels wrote:
>>> Not much trouble physically, but causing other dependencies w.r.t.
>>> emulating the same environment as on the EN12000 perhaps?
>>
>> That's all right, since it's a general problem (which you stated in a
>> later post) you won't need to emulate the EN12000 environment, plus
>> you've already said that valgrind didn't work on the EN12000 - Have
>> you tried a different distro/fresh install to eliminate a
>> configuration quirk of your current system that is causing valgrind
>> not to work?
>
> Valgrind ran bu the load of mythbackend *AND** valgrind was too much.
> I wrote about that.
> How can a distro help here?
> Or does valgrind need much optimisation when building it?

I remember now, sorry about that, a lighter weight setup might help
but it'd likely take too long to get it running. Consider moving the
entire setup to the more powerful machine and using the EN12000 as
your desktop for a short while?

>> So now all you need to do mirror your MythTV configuration off the
>> EN12000 onto your other box then setup valgrind and watch for the
>> leaks :-) That seems to be the most expedient thing to do - or just
>> wait patiently for someone else to do just that instead of you.
>
> OK, so how do I do that without moving the DVB card?

Same way anyone else would, buy another one :-) Or see if it
experiences the same problems with a a Network IP Recorder (You can
simulate a source with VLC)

> Udo

Both of these suggestions require investment of either or both of two
resources, your time and/or money. (Or someone elses, but no one else
seems driven enough by the problems so it seems it's up to you :-)

Steve Daniels