[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Wed Jan 7 16:00:17 UTC 2009

Jonny B wrote:

> Historically, every time I've used mv, it does exactly what you're
> stating to do instead. It copies ALL the files in the command (I'm
> presuming wildcards have been used) over to the destination, and then,
> once complete, removes them from the source location. I always do mv
> -v so I can see what it's doing, and you can see it copying the files
> and then removing them. This also allows me to troubleshoot if
> something may have gone askew.

mv is funny like that.  If you feed it a list of files:

mv *.avi /path/to/new/

then it deletes each file after it copies it and does not move on until
that file is deleted

if you instead feed it:

mv /path/to/old/ /path/to/new/

it will move the whole old directory including the folder and it copies
everything, then deletes at the end.  I don't know why it is done that
way, but that is how it does it.

rsync is really the better option because if you are moving a dir with
mv and it gets interrupted mv doesn't really do a good job the next time
you start it up.

Brent